I like my food to be flavourful and not bland. But from where I come, our food is not spicy. Therefore, all my life I have been tasting food that was sweet in a way and recipes that didn't dictate to put more spices. However, slowly, my taste buds demanded spices and flavours. Thanks to my brother, as when he was studying in UK, he learnt some spicy dishes himself. When he came back, he used to make dishes like egg bhurji, pav bhaaji, mushroom masala, bhindi fry, etc. and they used to be damn yummy.
When I took over the kitchen, that is, started making dishes without looking into the cookbooks, I developed a peculiar taste of my own--spicy, tangy, and flavourful. I'm so much in love with it, that I'm going to share list of all the (secret) ingredients that I use.
Onions + Tomatoes
Oregano + Chili Flakes
Dry Mango Powder
Pav Bhaaji Masala
1. In a pan, put oil and then do the regular tadka.
2. Add onions and fry till they're golden brown.
3. Add tomatoes and fry.
4. Saute with salt.
5. Add dry mango powder and the masalas. (Pav bhaaji masala is my brother's secret ingredient.)
6. Add vegetables (or the main ingredient).
7. *Put in one teaspoon of tomato ketchup if you have less tomatoes at home.
8. **Sprinkle oregano, chili flakes, and saute.
*I don't put oregano and chili flakes all the time, but once in two months or so.
**Also, if the quantity of vegetables I'm cooking is more than the required quantity of tomatoes, I'll add the tomato ketchup. Even adding of tomato ketchup is something I hardly do.
Try these ingredients and let me know if you liked the new flavour!